Solar street lights are gradually replacing widely used traditional public street lights. They have a crystalline silicon solar battery to supply power, a maintenance-free controlled battery to store electricity, a ultra-bright LED lamps as light source. And they are controlled by a smart charging and discharging controller.
Composition of solar street lights
Solar lighting solutions are made up of a LED lamp, for optimal illumination, a solar panel, to capture sun rays, a storage battery, a solar street lamp controller, a lamp pole and so on. The main products are a single crystal silicon and a polycrystalline silicon solar panel, a powerful LED source, a controller set in the lamp pole , a storage battery, a valve regulated lead acid (VRLA) battery and gel battery (put underground or some certain incubator).
The solar panel, under the control of the intelligent controller, collects solar energy and converts it into electricity when sunrays hit solar cells. The storage battery is charged by the solar battery in daytime, and then it powers the LED lamp in nighttime. Controller plays a very important role in protecting storage battery from being overcharged or over-discharged.
Advantages of solar street lights
1. It is easier to install a solar street light than other kind of street lights. You just need to make up cement, dig a one-meter-deep hole and then bolt it. So the complex lines which are essential to other lamps will never be of necessity to solar street light.
2. Solar street lamp brings long-term benefits. With a simple circuit, solar street light can save the cost of maintenance and a large amount of electricity.
3. Solar street lamp, a kind of clean energy, accelerates the development of human ecology residential district and reduces property management cost. As a result, solar street light has advantages in environment protecting, energy saving, being free of maintenance and easy in installation.
4. Solar street lights have a longer serving life than other ordinary street lights. It can serve about 5 to 10 years compared to a low pressure sodium lamp, with 18,000 hours service.
1. One of the most important aspects that constraints the development of solar street light is its price. For instance, the solar panel of a dual lamp is worthy of $500 and the storage battery about $300, therefore the high investment seriously restrict the application of solar lamp.
2. The serving life of the storage battery also should be token account in budget. Though the storage battery has 3 to 5 years warranty, it could not be charged fully after about half a year serving. Then it would have influence on normal lighting at night during continuous rainy days. As a result, battery with good quality is more suitable.
3. Many engineering contractors who selected LED lamps as light source should take the rate of attenuation of lamp into account for some of LED lamps decay to 50% after half a year. Also choosing the controller with good quality is of great importance.
4. More attention should be paid to the theft of storage battery that leads to abnormal lighting and increases costs. Engineers should take some action to protect from theft, such as reinforcing battery with concrete.